Time to consider direct mail?
May 21, 2020
If you are contemplating how to push sales in this new environment, direct mail is worth considering. Promo Hounds has expertise in helping you do this!
First a little background. Before founding Promo Hounds I (Kevin Lorance) spent many years in the radio and newspaper business. We did A LOT of promotions in radio. After that I was Publisher of Nashville Business Journal for several years. Though not as promotion oriented, we did our fair share.
Not all our promotions were successful, and this helped me learn a lot about what moves people to take action.
We have also successfully done direct mail at Promo Hounds both for ourselves and clients.
Here's some interesting facts about direct mail and dimensional direct mail:
· The Direct Marketing Association found that 79% of people act on direct mail compared to only 45% for email.
· The response rate for direct mail marketing is 3.7% compared to only 0.1% for email marketing.
· The Direct Marketing Association showed that a 3D campaign, when compared with a flat direct mail campaign, can outperform flat mailings by 200-300%. Even more significant is their finding that dimensional mail averaged the highest response rate of any direct response medium, at 5.49%.
· Direct mail requires 21% less cognitive effort to process than email.
· Direct mail recipients purchase 28% more items and spend 28% more money than people who don’t get that same piece of direct mail.
· Direct mail offers a 29% return on investment.
· 73% of American consumers say they prefer being contacted by brands via direct mail because they can read it whenever they want.
So how can Promo Hounds help you push sales, particularly with direct mail?
That is a great question and I’m glad you asked. Haha.
· Work with you to create a theme that will help move people to action.
· Research and find the right product to promote your message.
· Help design your insert that goes with the package.
· Find the best packaging for your mailer.
· Assist you in working with a third-party mail service we use to take care of assembling and shipping/mailing your packages.
· You get a complete turnkey program if you like!
You can promote sales in various ways:
· Offer an incentive gift good with a purchase.
· Offer an incentive gift for completing a task like calling you, visiting website, etc.
· Include a swag item with your offer or program the recipient would want to keep, which will remain as a reminder of your promotion.
· Start a loyal customer club with rewards. We can provide the rewards and a website where they could go to claim prizes.
· Push traffic to your website by offering a redemption code or similar.
Here are some examples of different types of direct mail pieces:
Full color custom boxes are great attention grabbers but can be a little pricey.
Tubes are a nice alternative.
Tri- and bi-fold mailers with an insert make for a nice presentation!
There's cool alternatives like these seed cards. You plant the card and it grows selected flowers!
This was a custom mailer we did for a client several years ago. We actually sourced the buckets from a restaurant supplier and had the tops imprinted!
This is another we did for Thomas Nelson a while back. The cookies in the custom tin had no preservatives so they all had to be delivered within a couple days.
Even relatively inexpensive packages like these metallic bubble envelopes will get you higher returns than regular envelopes.
If this sounds like something you would like to investigate, just call or email me: 615-891-2023, email@example.com